Filter A records in an IPv6 only environment

Kim Ebert kim at developmint.work
Tue May 1 23:00:51 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I recently came across an issue where the user program preferred IPv4 over
IPv6. This is a problem because I've created a network that is IPv6 only.
I'm currently using NAT64 to provide access to services that don't have any
IPv6 access.

Now this particular program could work if the DNS records didn't provide A
records. I would rather do everything I can as an admin to make the network
just work instead of waiting for all of the end user programs to be fixed,
so I started working on filter-a functionality to filter out A responses.
Currently implementation status is that it sort of works, which is further
than I expected to get in 2 days.

I wonder if anyone in the community is interested in me sharing the work,
and if I should go to the effort to publish the effort?

If anyone is curious, the offending program is nodejs and npm.

Thanks,

Kim