GSS-TSIG update-policy clarification

Nicholas Miller Nicholas.Miller at Colorado.EDU
Thu Mar 22 15:50:37 UTC 2018

With the latest update to bind our named.conf started reporting errors. I have figured it out but wanted to get clarification about the syntax.

We had been using:

	deny DOMAIN.EDU krb5-subdomain DOMAIN.EDU CNAME MX SRV TXT;

We are now using:

	deny DOMAIN.EDU krb5-subdomain . CNAME MX SRV TXT;

Am I to assume that the ‘.’ in the config statement behaves similarly to the ‘.’ in a zone file? It refers back to the zone the update-policy is defining?

Also, what is the difference between using a ‘.’ and a ‘*’? They both refer to all records within the zone.:

	deny DOMAIN.EDU krb5-subdomain * MX SRV TXT;