Help wanted: Linking to libbind9 on Ubuntu Linux

Robert Edmonds edmonds at mycre.ws
Wed Mar 21 05:15:27 UTC 2018

Tony Finch wrote:
> So the classic libc resolver API is basically the BIND4 libbind, and the
> resolvers in glibc and the BSDs still descend from this codebase.
>
> BIND8 was a significant revision of the BIND code (e.g. the improved
> configuration syntax, support for DNS extensions) but I get the impression
> the library structure was not so different from BIND4.

Yeah, sometimes the old BIND resolver is called the "BIND4/8" resolver.

It looks like the last BIND resolver code imported into glibc is from
BIND 8.2.3-T5B.

> BIND9 was a new codebase with very different internal library APIs, and an
> ambition to completely revamp the libc -> resolver interface - this is
> what the lwresd stuff was about. But no unix adopted this new design into
> its libc, so the ambition withered.

There's also the caveat that BIND 9, until 9.6.0, also shipped a copy of
the old BIND4/8 "libbind" resolver (configure --enable-libbind). At
which point it was split out into a separate tarball distribution
(https://ftp.isc.org/isc/libbind/) and given the arbitrary version
number 6.0.

--
Robert Edmonds