Stopping name server abuse

Dave Warren dw at thedave.ca
Tue Jun 26 19:11:05 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018, at 11:54, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 26.06.2018 um 20:50 schrieb Dave Warren:

> >> yes
> >>
> >> if i can prove that i am the zone-owner of the nameservers and that i
> >> don't have any contract with the domain owner where should be the problem?
> >>
> >> just use the abuse-contacts instead support monkeys
> >
> > Where have you had success? With a registrar (which one?) or a registry (which one?)?
>
> where did you *not* have success?

The last time I tried was some years ago, at Network Solutions, with a .COM. The owner of the domain was a company that had ceased operations and contact information was at the domain itself (therefore they were unreachable by email).

The load wasn't enormous but I was curious if they would be responsive, the only answers I received were to contact the owner of the domain, silence, or a ticket-closed type response.

Mark Jeftovic from easyDNS has commented on similar situations back in 2015: "It's not that rare. It's happened to us (more than once) and it happened to DNSimple not too long ago. In those cases we've had problems getting the registrar to yank the delegation. In cases like that the registry often won't even talk to us."

Maybe the situations has improved over the last few years?