Stopping name server abuse

Paul Kosinski bind at iment.com
Mon Jun 25 15:04:32 UTC 2018

How does *not* responding to a UDP query take longer for the *server*
than responding to UDP a query? Both responding and (deliberately) not
responding require identifying the query, but not responding bypasses
the time the server would need to construct the response, plus time
spent in the network stack. (I'm assuming we don't care about client
side "expense".)

Of course, if not responding to a UDP query provokes a TCP query, that
might increase the total server time needed, since TCP is inherently
more expensive for short transactions like DNS.

P.S. If you have something like iptables (with its string matching) in
front of your DNS server, you could just drop UDP queries for bogus
domains rather than letting them in at all. Or you could even route
them to a special lightweight server that just yields canned responses.
(This wouldn't work for TCP, because the query doesn't come until after
the connection is established.)