tool for finding undelegated children in your DNS

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Thu Jul 26 23:46:03 UTC 2018

I have been told this is a very poor description of the problem.

What I am concerned about is, how people with a sort of lazy zone file can assess the potential impact of QNAME minimization on their ability to answer for all of their zones.

I have gotten two suggestions off list:
- I would use named-checkzone to print the zone with all owner names printed out and then use text processing tools
- “dig ds -f list-of-zones”, Those that return NXDOMAIN are likely missing NS records.

Any other ideas?
Has anyone done this kind of housekeeping on their own zones?

> On Jul 26, 2018, at 11:41 AM, Victoria Risk <vicky at isc.org> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know of a good tool that you can run on your DNS records to find parent + child pairs where there is no NS record for the child in the parent?
>
> Someone must have a perl script for that, right?
>
> Thank you for any suggestions.
>
> Vicky

Victoria Risk
Product Manager