intermittent SERVFAIL for high visible domains such as *.google.com

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jan 22 16:10:40 UTC 2018

Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> Yeah.  Must be disabled by default on EL7 I would guess, just because
> it's so noisy.

You should make sure it is enabled, because there are vital clues in those
log lines :-) Other categories you should check are `edns-disabled` (which
I already mentioned) and `resolver`.

> So, if lame servers were a problem with resolving ns[1-4].google.com,
> then I would see messages like in my previous message with a lame:n tag
> where n > 0, yes?

Yes, and you should track down when they occur and look for other error
indications areound that time.

Tony.
Bailey, Fair Isle, Faeroes: Cyclonic, becoming south or southwest, 5 to 7,
increasing gale 8 at times. Rough or very rough, occasionally high at first.
Occasional rain or showers, squally later in Bailey. Good, occasionally poor.