intermittent SERVFAIL for high visible domains such as *.google.com

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Jan 19 15:22:43 UTC 2018

Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> So, between that initial:
>
> 19-Jan-2018 09:06:18.893 resquery 0x7f1010f3bd90 (fctx 0x7f1010f23d90(www.google.com/A)): response
>
> is just the referrals to .com for that query and the referrals to .com
> for the subsequent ns[1-4].google.com queries before we get to:
>
> [ snip servfail logs ]
>
> Shouldn't I have seen at least some referrals from a .com NS to the
> google.com NSes similar to the referrals from the root server to the
> .com NSes?

That's what I would expect, yes.

You don't have any weird middleboxes between your resolver and the
Internet, do you?

Tony.
Irish Sea: Westerly 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 at first, becoming variable 3
or 4. Moderate or rough, becoming slight. Wintry showers, rain later in south.
Good, occasionally poor.