issue of adding additional name server in us domain to an edu domain

schilling schilling2006 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 16:55:36 UTC 2018

Hi All,

We are trying to register ns2.cps.k12.il.us as additional name server for
cps.edu domain besides existing name server ns.cps.k12.il.us. We have
successfully added ns2.cps.k12.il.us as additional name servers beside
ns.cps.k12.il.us for cps.k12.il.us domain.

However request to add ns2.cps.k12.il.us to cps.edu through educause was
reject with the following:
Your Nameserver change has NOT been completed.

Detail: This request has been rejected because the name server that was
added is not a valid registered name server:

NS2.CPS.K12.IL.US <http://ns2.cps.k12.il.us/>

Please make sure to add only valid, registered name servers.

We worked closely with our partner and confirmed that ns2.cps.k12.il.us is
a registered name server in www.whois.us as below:
Server Name: ns2.cps.k12.il.us
IP Address: 172.87.51.19
Registrar: State of Illinois
Registrar WHOIS Server:
Registrar URL: whois.us
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2018-01-09T15:27:48Z <<<

https://www.internic.net/whois.html showed

No match for nameserver "NS2.CPS.K12.IL.US".

but showed the following for existing ns.cps.k12.il.us

   Server Name: NS.CPS.K12.IL.US
   Registrar: Network Solutions, LLC.
   Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
>>> Last update of whois database: 2018-01-10T21:30:38Z <<<

Our partner Illinois has network solution account, but not able to
register ns2.cps.k12.il.us.

CPS does not have network solution account, I am puzzled what role
networksolutions is playing here.

Is there anything we are missing here in order to register
ns2.cps.k12.il.us as an additional name server for cps.edu domain?

Thanks,

Schilling