Frequent timeout

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Aug 31 23:09:41 UTC 2018

Hi, Alex--

On Aug 31, 2018, at 3:49 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> wrote:
> The interface does show some packet loss:
>
> br0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
> [ ... ]
>        RX packets 1610535  bytes 963148307 (918.5 MiB)
>        RX errors 0  dropped 5066  overruns 0  frame 0
>
> Is some packet loss such as the above to be expected? I recall doing
> some network tests some time ago and found much of it was IPv6
> traffic, which is not being used.

0.3% dropped packets is a bit unusual for a NIC running against a switch;
it would be quite normal for a hub.  However, Linux tends to also count
various things like unknown VLAN tags, unknown protocols (ie, IPv6 traffic
on an IPv4-only host), etc as dropped RX packets.

Supposedly ethtool -S helps distinguish between actual interface errors
and traffic that your machine chooses to drop.

Regards,
--
-Chuck