how two dns bind master sync?

Darcy, Kevin kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Thu Aug 23 23:54:57 UTC 2018

As someone who has had to deal with the interaction between BIND and
AD-integrated DNS for most of my DNS career, I think it's important, from a
BIND perspective, to understand how a given AD-integrated DNS zone is used.
If clients are registering themselves in the AD zone, then there is going
to be a lot of "churn" in the zone, and all of these problems that worry
BIND people -- like "floating" serial numbers, SOA.MNAMEs that flip from
one DC to another, potential record-level inconsistencies between
"multi-masters", and (apparently) no good "resolution protocol" to
arbitrate between them, most likely come to the forefront.

For us, we made the decision early on that we were *not* going to register
clients in our AD zones. So, what's in those zones mostly consists of SRV
records for the service-location function (sometimes called "DC Locator" in
Microsoft-ese). About the only A records are for the domain controllers
themselves. None of this data changes very frequently, so the SOA-related
issues and the potential multi-master consistency issues really haven't
bitten us. We replicate the AD zone data to our BIND-based infrastructure,
and this allows us to reap the benefits of things like Anycast-based
resolution, decent query logging and so forth. We've even managed to tweak
the NOTIFYs to some degree, in order for the replication to occur in a
timely fashion.

YMMV if you register your clients in AD, but for us, it's been mostly a
peaceful co-existence. About the biggest problem we have is a lack of
coordination when domain controllers are moved around, firewall rules are
botched, etc. But that's more of a big-company, chaos/silo-ing issue than a
technical challenge _per_se_. We compensate by monitoring the logs for
zone-transfer failure messages.

                   - Kevin