how two dns bind master sync?

Greg Rivers gcr+bind-users at tharned.org
Wed Aug 22 18:11:26 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:42:35 Grant Taylor via bind-users wrote:
> On 08/22/2018 01:15 AM, Zhengyu Pan wrote:
> > In my application scenario, I have two master. Each master connect
> > several slave dns. When users update zone, i update these two master
> > respectively in a for loop. However, when any master update fails, i
> > will roll bock. you know, whenever any update, zone's serial will
> > increase. this cause that the serial numbers of zone in two masters are
> > inconsistent. How can i keep these two masters' zones consistent in real
> > time? Is using rsync tool a good way?  In the industry, is there a good
> > way to synchronize two masters?
>
> This may be an unpopular opinion, especially on the BIND-Users mailing
> list (sometimes BIND is not the best answer).
>
> It sounds like you might want something like multi-master DNS servers
> that Active Directory (with AD integrated zones) provides.
>
> You can "Enable BIND secondaries" to allow (any) slave server to do a
> standard zone transfer.
>
> You could then make your change to one master DNS server and AD will
> ensure that the other gets it too.  Either way, without reconfiguring
> anything.
>
> I would love to see this type of feature in BIND.  But I've not seen
> anything provide it yet.

Other possibilities exist too. For example, the Men & Mice DDI product[1] supports multi-master across multiple disparate primaries with their "xDNS" plugin. But I wouldn't say that multi-master is a good idea in general, as it suffers from all of the problems that come with having multiple versions of the truth.

[1] <https://www.menandmice.com/products/dns-management/>

--
Greg Rivers