check-names response fail;

Darcy, Kevin kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Wed Aug 22 16:48:11 UTC 2018

So, the short answer is that check-names is pretty granular, doing
"check-names response fail" is just asking for trouble, for a resolver at
the Internet edge, since there's too much squirrely stuff out there. Most
folks just limit check-names "fail" to authoritative data (master or slave).

The longer answer is: this is an interesting standards-compliance question.
The rule is that a "hostname" can't contain an underscore. Owner names that
aren't "hostnames" are allowed to have underscores. I believe -- I could be
mistaken -- that owner names for MX records, for instance, can have
underscores. In some cases, underscores were *purposely* encoded into owner
names, for certain record types, *because* that way, they could never
collide with "hostnames". SRV records are an example of that.

But, in this case, the "hostname" is www.newegg.com -- no underscore. For
that matter, the owner name of the A record -- e5638.g.akamaiedge.net
-- doesn't
contain an underscore either. So, the only names that are involved in the
resolution of this name, that contain underscores, are *intermediate*
CNAMEs between the original name (www.newegg.com) and the ultimate owner of
the A record -- names that a user never sees or deals with when accessing
the resource. Does it therefore violate the "hostnames can't contain
underscores" rule or not? That's a very debatable question.

Having said that, however, Akamai violates a different rule by chaining
CNAMEs ("Domain names in RRs which point at another name should always
point at the primary name and not the alias" -- RFC 1034). In fact, their
whole business model is based on this standards-violation, and it's worked
very well for them.

Now, I don't really have a fundamental problem with Akamai, as a company;
we use them extensively, including their "Fast DNS" service, which
basically consists of replicating our zones to their DNS-CDN. But the
standards-purist in me still rankles at the fact that they're based on a
standards-violation.

                    - Kevin