nslookup oddities (Was: SRV record not working)

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 17:14:37 UTC 2018

On 8/19/18, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> nslookup applies the search list by default and doesn’t stop on a NODATA
> response.
>
> Some versions of nslookup have been modified by OS vendors to use /etc/hosts
> for address lookups.
>
> nslookup doesn’t display the entire response by default.

I learned something :)  Thank you
Not that I know the implications of "doesn’t stop on a NODATA
response" but hopefully that can be remedied.

wrt the search list, that's why I got in the habit of always typing
the trailing dot.  I've never seen that fail, but 'set nosearch' is
supposed to do the same thing.

'set debug' and 'set d2' displays lots, but I never checked to see if
it was the entire response or no

So... it seems like the bottom line is that dig is better but nslookup
ain't all that bad

Thanks
Lee