Release Strategy Clarification

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Thu Apr 26 12:53:41 UTC 2018

This is a question for ISC about the new BIND release plan which I thought
might be a useful clarification for others as well.

I didn't notice this when the new plan was first presented in March, but
the key text in the legend of the Example Release Plan[0] for the red
blocks is "a release that is no longer supported."  This implies that 9.12
will go from being the most recent supported stable version of BIND to
unsupported literally overnight.  It doesn't appear there is a period where
9.12 and 9.14 are both supported, as 9.12 approaches end of life.

Is this an oversight, where the legend text needs updating to "a release
that is approaching end of life," or do we really all have to plan to do
our upgrades on January 1st every year?

Thanks,
   Matt

[0]: <https://www.isc.org/blogs/bind-release-strategy-updated/>