Wildcard prefix

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Apr 12 16:21:07 UTC 2018

On 12.04.18 16:11, Andrew Hardy wrote:
>Does bind support wildcard prefix
>
>I want to install bind DNS server on my LAN to locally test a web
>application that is designed to support receiving requests on different url
>domain prefixes.
>
>Map *.mydomain.com to
>For example 192.168.12.12

*.mydomain.com.	IN	A	192.168.12.12

>Use
>abc.mydomain.com
>def.mydomain.com
>www.mydomain.com
>etc
>
>All arrive at http server on 192.168.12.12

bind does not care about HTTP. BIND will point A records to your IP but
that's all.

Note that wildcard DNS has caveats, e.g. it only applies to otherwise
non-existent records, not to any existent, so if you e.g. define

abc.mydomain.com	MX	...
www.def.mydomain.com	A	...

then the *.mydomain.com will NOT apply to abc.mydomain.com
some more info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcard_DNS_record

>This is my primary need so I don't want to install if this is not my best
>option.

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.