DNS64 & nslookup

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Apr 11 23:48:33 UTC 2018

Firstly, you can tell nslookup to make AAAA queries “nslookup -query=aaaa”.

nslookup is a really old tool which is why it make A queries by default.
It predates even the concept of IPv6 (which dates from ~1995).  The same
also applies to dig which is slightly younger than nslookup.

Secondly, I would look at other mechanisms than DNS64/NAT64 to provide
IPv4 as-a-service.  It really has a lot of issues which the other
mechanisms don’t.

Thirdly, I wouldn’t rush to running IPv6-only.  It does have its advantages
but they come with serious drawbacks.  At this stage IPv6-only is still
niche only.

DS-Lite, MAP-T, MAP-E, 464XLAT are all alternatives to running DNS64/NAT64.

Mark