SOA serial increment when we update SOA RR

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Oct 4 10:43:18 UTC 2017

rams <bramesh80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> When we change any resource record like A or AAAA, then SOA serial number
> gets incremented. But If we update only SOA record ,Is serial number of SOA
> remain same as before or serial number of SOA will increment?.

It needs to increment, yes, because that's how the secondaries know they
need to update their copies of the zone.

> Do we have any RFC for this?

I don't know if this particular case is mentioned explicitly, but you can
look at RFC 1995 (IXFR) and RFC 5936 (AXFR).

Tony.
Fair Isle, Faeroes: Northwest 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9 at first
in Fair Isle. Rough or very rough, occasionally high at first in Fair Isle.
Squally showers. Good, occasionally moderate.