Domain Not Resolving

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Nov 21 14:10:37 UTC 2017

Am 21.11.2017 um 14:42 schrieb G.W. Haywood via bind-users:
> The address for localhost (127.0.0.1) should be in /etc/hosts,
> not in your zone file, and very probably it already is

that part is not true

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1537 says:
Note that all domains that contain hosts should have a "localhost" A
record in them

simply because /etc/hosts is not considered in case of a DNS lookup at
all and a unqualified query for "localhost" with "search thelounge.net"
in /etc/resolv.conf would be expanded to "localhost.thelounge.net." and
so correctly answered at the first try - our dns backend adds them to
every single zone-file because of rfc1537 for years

localhost.thelounge.net. 86400  IN      A       127.0.0.1