DNAME usage?

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 17:19:17 UTC 2017

I am a bit confused by DNAME's
I had used them before but I may have used them wrong.

On windows 2008r2 I have some zone's where I create a DNAME for the
root and point it to an A record.

IE:

zone bla.bla
SOA <standard SOA>
NS <mydns>
DNAME www.bla.com

where www.bla.com is an A record.

the reason I was doing this is because www.bla.com has a dhcp assigned address

and I want bla.bla to always point to it.
windows dns does not allow a cname at the root of a zone.

as of 2012r2 with updates this no longer works.

So I decided to see what bind would do with DNAME If I tried a similar
experiment
I have a db.self file I used when I want certain outside addresses to
point back to my inside addresses.

my db.self file looks like so

$TTL 3D
@  1D  IN  SOA ns jeffsadowski.gmail.com. (
                              2017081201 ;
                              3H ;
                              15 ;
                              1w ;
                              3h ;
                             )
@ IN NS ns
ns IN A 192.168.1.252
@ IN A 192.168.1.252

And I wand similar for my DNAME so I created db.dname that looks like so

$TTL 3D
@  1D  IN  SOA ns jeffsadowski.gmail.com. (
                              2017081201 ;
                              3H ;
                              15 ;
                              1w ;
                              3h ;
                             )
@ IN NS ns
ns IN A 192.168.1.252
@ IN DNAME methanemaker.mooo.com

then when I try and start bind I get error messages like so

Nov 17 09:55:53 methanemaker bash[7049]: zone bla.bla/IN: NS
'ns.bla.bla' is below a DNAME 'bla.bla' (illegal)
Nov 17 09:55:53 methanemaker bash[7049]: zone bla.bla/IN: not loaded
due to errors.

I tried without the NS likes and I get this message

Nov 17 09:48:36 methanemaker bash[4872]: zone bla.bla/IN: has no NS records
Nov 17 09:48:36 methanemaker bash[4872]: zone bla.bla/IN: not loaded
due to errors.

If anyone has a better idea how to map to a dhcp addressed machine
from a zone I'd like to know?

I don't want to recreate the entire superdomain for just one record
that needs changed
IE:
the super domain is managed by an outside service. I don't want to
keep a second copy inside that has a few with different records.