search algorithm in DNS

Paul Kosinski bind at iment.com
Thu Nov 9 14:55:29 UTC 2017

Exact matching needs a search algorithm too.

If the DNS server in only authoritative for a couple of domains (and
subdomains), a simple linear search would be adequate (or even optimal,
due to its low overhead). Many DNS servers, however, are authoritative
for multiple domains, and so might need something like a binary search
or hash table.

Reverse DNS (PTR resolution) could also need a similar algorithm, as an
ISP's server could easily cover a lot of disparate domains with its
block of assigned IP addresses. (Although the IP address, being part of
a dense range, could be converted to an index number, I suppose.)