Providing GeoIP information for servers

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed May 10 21:47:28 UTC 2017

On 05/10/2017 05:41 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> In message <c51ed4ea-2ce2-e7d4-8fec-f59c91708dcd at htt-consult.com>, Robert Mosko
> witz writes:
>> I am kind of tired in my systems being reported as being in Plymouth MI
>> instead of Oak Park MI.  That is the best Comcast seems to be willing to
>> do for where my IP addresses (which are static) reside.
>>
>> Is there anyway to provide location information for a server via DNS
>> that would feed into GeoIP?  For example, do LOC records work for this?
>>
>> thanks
> AFAIK Maxmind et al don't lookup LOC records.  That being said if
> enough people published LOC records they might start.
>
> For Google you can update the location using a app which uses the
> phone's GPS.

I hate things that insist that I leave GPS on.  I only turn it on when I
need it for directions or for exercise mapping (same thing). The UofMich
weather app does not work without GPS on.  I really need to complain to
them about that...

I will publish LOC records and see what happens....

thanks Mark