bind-dyndb-ldap integration

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 16:50:59 UTC 2017

Hoi Tomas,

> On 03/27/2017 12:11 PM, Tony Finch wrote:
>> Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Running named with `-d 10 -g -u named` from the command line got me
>>> some more info but I still do not understand what goes wrong.
>> I looked at this, but I can't work out what the problem is either.
>> Something mysterious is going wrong inside bind-dyndb-ldap's config
>> parser, so I think you should contact the authors of bind-dyndb-ldap for
>> help.
>>
>> Here's what I can see happening...

>>>  bind-dyndb-ldap version 11.1 compiled at 21:34:13 Mar 20 2017,
>>>      compiler 4.9.4
>>>  registered dynamic ldap driver for DNS-ldap.
>>>  adding task 0x7fd80df75010 to syncrepl list; 1 task in list
>>>  configuration for dyndb instance 'DNS-ldap' (starting in file
>>>      /etc/bind/named.conf on line 44):
>>>  auth_method "simple";
>>>  base "cn=DNSdyndb, dc=home";
>>>  bind_dn "cn=Admin, dc=home";
>>>  directory "dyn";
>>>  password "????????";
>>>  uri "ldap://localhost:389";
>>>  verbose_checks yes;
>> At this point bind-dyndb-ldap has put the configuration through the BIND
>> config parser. The debug output is a dump of the parsed config. This
>> parsed config is then converted by bind-dyndb-ldap into its own format.
>> This fails:
>>
>>>  cannot parse settings for 'named.conf for database DNS-ldap': not
>>>      found
>>>  LDAP instance 'DNS-ldap' destroyed
>>> `
>> I think the "not found" error happens when it is looking for a setting
>> name which isn't present.
>>
>> My best guess for what might fix it is if you explicitly set all
>> the options.
>>
>> My guess for what might reveal a bug is if you just add a seting for the
>> `server_id` option.
> This is indeed a bug [1]. It's a regression from the previous versions
> (10.1) and it's most likely caused by the recent changes in the API.

> As a workaround, you can specify `server_id` with an arbitrary value in
> /etc/named.conf .

> [1] - https://pagure.io/bind-dyndb-ldap/issue/172

Thanks, although the server_id thing was not really clear to me. Some
looking around revealed me there is an options setting "server-id",
but adding that does not change anything and the dyndb-ldap options
list does not state any server_id or server-id.
Adding server-id created a syntax error, which was refreshing. But
then adding server_id "DNS-ldap" did it.

Thanks now I can go on testing things.

It's a pity it takes so much searching to find proper documentation.
Although I had been googling anything I could think if for over a
week, I could not find anything helpfull.

Tot mails,
  bind userlist                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop