Difference between delegation and forward zone

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 6 21:34:37 UTC 2017

In article <mailman.1039.1488821503.74444.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 "McDonald, Daniel (Dan)" <Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com> wrote:

> Yes, you can forward to a subdomain.  Just define it as a separate zone and
> include the forwarders and forward-only lines.  I believe you need
> allow-query-cache for this to work.

This won't work reliably if the server is supposed to be authoritative
for the parent domain. The problem is that queries from resolvers do not
have the Recursion Desired flag set, and forwarding is only done when
recursing.

Also, if there are no delegation records for the subdomain, the parent
server believes it's authoritative for them, despite having forwarders
configured.

Forwarding is generally only useful on resolvers, not authoritative
servers.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA