reverse dns configuration for IPV4, IPV6+ dns+ mail ?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 19 15:04:17 UTC 2017

Am 19.06.2017 um 16:56 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>> since DNS don't care about the PTR but mail does what is your problem
>> that you need stupid dicussions instead just agree that it can't do
>> harm and in doubt is beneficial to have just one hostname, use that
>> one hostname in helo_name and have just one PTR pointing back to that
>> hostname?
>
> I'm trying to avoid future problems caused by people who follow
> non-existing
> rules by advising properly and explaining.

you failed to explain the benefit of multiple PTR's until now

> I have encountered many issues caused by people insisting on non-existing
> rules and breaking thing just by trying to follow them

unless you provide a even theoretical example where things would be
break when one never adds more than a single PTR for a IP your are just
contradict for the sake of contradict

i have on the other hand provided examples where it can do harm and on a
broken implementation which only looks at the first PTR which changes
for every DNS request you have a problem

and yes when it comes to mail delivery you have to deal with broken
server on the other side all day long and as simpler, cleaner and more
straightforwareded you setup the stuff which is under your control as
less likely you have to deal with a broken target server - that's how
good design is done

do what you want but stop contradict practices which are proven to *not*
introduce any problems when followed because it's even not possible in
theory that a A/PTR/HELO-match can do any harm