BIND Root Server Selection

Moritz Muller moritz.muller at sidn.nl
Tue Jun 13 10:04:37 UTC 2017

Hi,

I was wondering if BIND uses the same server selection algorithm for root servers as for other “normal” authoritative name servers, e.g. the ones of TLDs?

Together with my colleagues from SIDN Labs and researchers from USC we looked into authoritative name server selection “in the wild” and analyzed the consequences for DNS operators using active measurements (RIPE Atlas).
Because we also want to compare our observations with DITL data from the root servers, we are curious if recursives treat root servers different from other authoritaives.
PowerDNS, Unbound and Knot Resolver don’t.

Thanks.

Moritz