Tuning suggestions for high-core-count Linux servers

Plhu plhu at seznam.cz
Thu Jun 1 11:16:44 UTC 2017

  Hello Stuart,
a few simple ideas to your tests:
 - have you inspected the per-thread CPU? Aren't some of the threads overloaded?
 - have you tried to get the statistics from the Bind server using the
 XML or JSON interface? It may bring you another insight to the errors.
 - I may have missed the connection count you use for testing - can you
 post it? More, how may entries do you have in your database? Can you
 share your named.conf (without any compromising entries)?
 - what is your network environment? How many switches/routers are there
 between your simulator and the Bind server host?
 - is Bind the only running process on the tested server?
 - what CPUs is the Bind server being run on?
 - is there numad running and while trying the taskset, have you
 selected the CPUs on the same processor? What does numastat show during
 the test?
 - how many UDP sockets are in use during your test?

Curious for the responses.

  Lukas