BIND and Windows DNS logging and archiving

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Jul 23 14:05:17 UTC 2017

On 22/07/2017 07:33, Mick Lee wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Can anyone offer any advice based on their experience?

Well, if I understand correctly, your main problem is the windows boxes
running windows DNS, so this is not a bind problem. You might be better
asking elsewhere.

However, honestly I would consider moving the traffic from the windows
boxes elsewhere to somewhere you can log. There are great tools for
doing this but they're all unix-oriented e.g. dnsdist, dnscap.

I guess you could try and get one of those running on a Windows box, but
for the effort involved on about 100 servers, you might as well just
spin up a recursive resolver that you *can* instrument, and point all
the boxes at that.

Regards,
Phil