Bind DNS servers: can they coexist with httpd and mail servers?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jul 19 10:41:38 UTC 2017

Am 19.07.2017 um 12:37 schrieb Tom Browder:
> I want to host my own DNS servers, but I need the master to share Bind
> with other services, specifically Apache 2.4, Postfix 3.3, and Mailman 3.
>
> Is there any reason that is not possible?
>
> If not, are there any problems or configuration issues I will need to
> address?

besides the typical security considerations (what if your webserver get
compromised since it's the greatest attack vector) - no - named don't
even know that there are other services nor is it relevant from the
outside - DNS is just port 53 UDP/TCP and that's it

written from a development machine running named with several
mysqld-instances, webservers, virtual machines and a ton of other
networkservices from routing to firewalls up to two hostapd-instances to
provide WLAN for smartphones