restarting bind fixes some resolution issues

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Mon Jul 10 08:59:09 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-09 15:04:53 +0000, Matus UHLAR - fantomas said:

> On 09.07.17 14:36, Dario Corti wrote:
>> Hi, I occasionally have issues updating some packages, with the package
>> manager saying that it cannot resolve deb.nodesource.com. I'm using
>> 1:9.9.5.dfsg-9+deb8u11 and I verified that a bind restart fixes the
>> problem every time (even if technically the domain CAN be resolved also
>> before the restart).
>
> https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=dns%3adeb.nodesource.com&run=toolpage
>
> http://dnscheck.pingdom.com/?domain=deb.nodesource.com
>
> both checkers report errors...
>
>> I issued a dig before and after the restart and it does report
>> something different, but I'm unable to understand it, so I wonder if
>> anyone can suggest a possible reason for this.
>>
>> Before: https://pastebin.com/7qZUmPKA
>> After: https://pastebin.com/U0DUhE20
>
> i don't see any difference here, both cases report deb.nodesource.com to be
> a CNAME to d2buw04m05mirl.cloudfront.net - maybe you should look up that one
> next time problem appears.

What's different is the authority section.  In neither case does it
provide the expected NS records for nodesource.com or cloudfront.net,
or even NS records for d2buw04m05mirl.cloudfront.net, which my servers
have cached.  There is something odd about the configuration.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.