Bind Queries log file format

Mukund Sivaraman muks at isc.org
Wed Jan 25 14:21:53 UTC 2017

Hi Michael

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 09:11:41AM -0500, Michael Dahlberg wrote:
> Mukund:
>
> Yea, I can respect that.  However, I'm not confident that dropping it right
> in the middle of the log entry was the best place for it.  I have a number
> of processes that monitor the query logs (it seems like everybody wants to
> know where everybody else is going), and these logs can get BIG.  To
> ameliorate the amount of data that needs to be parsed, I throw out  the
> queries from systems that are not relevant.  With that single entry,
> everything became relevant according to my regex.  Making this addition to
> the beginning or the end of the log entry would have provided the
> developers the necessary data, and preserved my regex.

If you don't mind, can you send an email to <bind9-bugs at isc.org> with
the format you'd like it to be in?

The only feedback we got for this change was this: By mistake, we had
introduced this change within an existing stable branch which broke
scripts for some users who understandably didn't expect such a change
within a stable release, whereas the change should have appeared only in
a new release branch made off master (in this case, master -> 9.11
only). If there's a feeling that some change is not up to the mark or
can be done differently, please file a bug and let us know.

(IIRC, the previous format was not consistent too.)

		Mukund