real BIND start time

Mathew Ian Eis Mathew.Eis at nau.edu
Thu Jan 5 22:07:49 UTC 2017

ps -C named -o start,lstart is the time since the process was started.

One can also force BIND to “reset” with a SIGHUP without actually stopping and starting the daemon.

This will cause (among many other things) the pid file to be reset. (You can also find a “general: notice: running” about this time in the logs that should pretty closely align with the last reset time, or startup time if there is none.).

The “reset” probably explains the difference between the two times that you see.

The stats counters are since startup time and not affected by a reset as far as I am aware.

Regards,

Mathew Eis
Northern Arizona University
Information Technology Services