switching entire DNS system to new servers and IP addresses

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Feb 24 05:54:08 UTC 2017

In message <1CA812F4-7EA0-4498-B838-BBFAF551B6A0 at iastate.edu>, "Eldridge, Rod A
 [ITNET]" writes:

> Iowa State University is replacing 7 ISC NAMED/BIND servers and 4 ISC DHCP
> servers with Infoblox servers on March 14th. We want to keep the domain
> names of our external servers the same (with one exception), but we will
> be changing all of the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses of those external servers.
>
> Current external name servers:
>
>    DNS-1.IASTATE.EDU                       129.186.6.249, 2610:130:101:100::2
> 49
>    DNS-2.IASTATE.EDU                       129.186.88.249, 2610:130:102:e01::
> 249
>    ISU.DNS.NORTHERNLIGHTS.GIGAPOP.NET      146.57.253.249, 2607:ea00:1:9::aa
>

> The exception is that we will be removing ISU.DNS.NORTHERNLIGHTS.GIGAPOP.NET
> (a server located at the UMN) and will be installing a server at UIowa (that
> will be named DNS-3.IASTATE.EDU).
>
> The new IPv4 addresses for the new external name servers will be:
>
>    DNS-1.IASTATE.EDU                       129.186.67.129
>    DNS-2.IASTATE.EDU                       129.186.67.145
>    DNS-3.IASTATE.EDU                       128.255.x.x     <== not yet assign
> ed

You setup the new boxes with serials greater than what you currently
have for all zones.  Test the new boxes.  You then make you existing
master a slave to the new boxes for all zones.  This will ensure
that new and old boxes have the same content via the old master.

You then update the NS and address records for these zones and the
servers.

You then update the delegation records for all zones (NS and glue
address records).

Once the cached records have expired and the traffic has moved to
the new servers you can turn off the old servers.  You will still
have zone maintanence traffic between the old servers.  If the
traffic doesn't stop you will have to track down the static
configurations and update them.

Mark