From AWS route 53 to Bind9

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Feb 5 00:29:52 UTC 2017

Am 04.02.2017 um 22:30 schrieb Mark Andrews:
> It has been suggested many times that there should be a record which
> says which server(s) serve a zone for HTTP and HTTPS.  We could do
> this with SRV (_http._tcp.example.com and _https._tcp.example.com)
> or we could come up with a new record example.com HTTP <server>.

for the thread starter - use https://intodns.com/ to find out and fix
common mistakes in dns zones

> Browser vendors refuse to accept either of these solutions because
> they don't want to do a second DNS lookup for the server's addresses
> when the addresses are not included in the initial response.

someone should point out to the browser vendors that this is technically
already the case when CNAMES pointing to a different domain and the
destination of the CNAME easily can be another CNAME pointing somewhere else

makes sense when different companies are involved for a lot of records
and each one wants a single entry for easier future changes instead
touch 50 or more

well, not the browser itself but the involved DNS servers and i don't
see how that's different for the total response time since all that
stuff is also cached in the whole dns chain