Something is trying to update one of my domains...

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Dec 24 06:32:16 UTC 2017

On 12/23/2017 11:07 PM, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> I have just discovered several entries of
>
> Dec 24 06:26:49 dns1 named[16591]: update-security: error: client
> +37.157.109.77#2936: update 'tdnet.eu/IN' denied
>
> Which is realy bizzar, because this is the 4G/LTE IP of my ThinkPad T400
> with Windows 7 Home Edition installed...

Does Windows think it's FQDN is <NetBIOS name>.tdnet.eu?

> Can someone give me a hint what is trying to update  my  <tdnet.eu>
> and only this one?

It sounds like it's trying to do a Dynamic DNS update to the MNAME
server listed in the SOA record, namely dns1.tamay-dogan.net.

> In the logfiles I do not find more infos.

Run a packet sniffer on your ThinkPad and see what it's trying to do.
If it is what I think it is, you can probably cause it to attempt to
happen by restarting the NetLogon and / or Workstation service.

Note:  This is one of the reasons to use a sub-domain for office
networks, particularly with Windows machines.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die