Zone give from one second to another error...

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Dec 24 05:08:34 UTC 2017

On 12/23/2017 09:19 PM, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Now I have removed a third time the jourmal  files  and  oh  wonder,
> it seems to work again.  How can it be, that 3 journals  out  of  sync
> can block more then 2000 domains?

Hum.  I bet that there were log entries about the journal(s) being out
of sync with the zone(s).

> It seems to me like a design error!

I don't know.  BIND is notorious for wanting to make sure that things
are correct.

I'm used to BIND loading other zones so that it's at least partially
functional as a server.

I think that BIND considers it worse to serve potentially bad data than
to not serve anything (for the zone in question).  It's just one of
those things about BIND.

I've had this happen when I manually edit zone files.  Thus I've grown
to the point that I do things with nsupdate or I freeze, sync -clean,
edit, thaw, and sign the zone I need to work on.  (I may not need to do
the additional sign, as thawing may do that automagically.)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die