DDNS - limitation and excluding updates from certain networks

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Dec 20 17:50:28 UTC 2017

On 12/20/2017 10:40 AM, Grant Taylor via bind-users wrote:
> I don't remember the specifics, but there is a way built into BIND to do
> what you are wanting.

Well, my GoogleFu seems to working today:

Link - DNS Dynamic Update (DNS and BIND, 4th Edition)
  - https://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/networking_2ndEd/dns/ch10_02.htm

> I think there's an ACL configuration where you can configure that DDNS
> clients are only able to update the records that they own.  -  I think
> ownership is related to the connecting IP.

"update-policy" seems to be what you want.

> I do remember that when I tested this, it was trivial to set up and one
> configuration entry seemed to apply multiple DDNS clients.

Per the linked page, something like the following allows all machines in
the fx.movie.edu zone to update their own records.

	zone "fx.movie.edu" {
		type master;
		file "db.fx.movie.edu";
		update-policy { grant *.fx.movie.edu. self fx.movie.edu. A; };
	};

Short of this, the other hack that I had considered was to use a CNAME
to a child zone that the client was allowed to update.  I.e.
example.fx.movie.edu. CNAME example.ddns.fx.movie.edu, which example had
full control over.  -  But this scheme proved to be unnecessary with the
"update-policy { grant … self … };" technique above.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die