DNSSEC validation without current time

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Fri Dec 15 15:10:03 UTC 2017

On 15-Dec-17 07:44, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 12:45:11PM +0100, Petr Menšík wrote:
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> I am looking for a way to validate name also on systems, where current
>> time is not available or can be inaccurate.
> I use a Garmin 18x LVC 1pps GPS receiver device connected to RS-232
> serial port. The device plus cables cost me $70 altogether, and ntpd
> works natively with it using the NMEA refclock driver (there's no need
> of gpsd). It has a 1s PPS signal accurate to 1us. It is accurate to
> within +/- 100us on Fedora where due to no hardpps kernel support
> because of tickless kernel, the PPS signal is timestamped and available
> on /dev/pps0 but the kernel doesn't use it to directly maintain the
> clock and it has to be done from userland which is affected by the
> system load.  If you were to recompile a kernel that's configured
> appropriately, I feel the clock can be synchronized to about 1us
> accuracy.
>
> It is more or less reliable and value for $70 if one wants UTC on their
> computer without accessing the internet. This is more than sufficient
> for DNSSEC validation and many other network services, and certainly
> more accurate than using the ntp.org pools.
>
> 		Mukund

I use an 19xLVC too (On Raspbian == Debian).  But I also have an RTC.
GPS does have outages,  can take a while to get a fix, and NTP wants
consensus.  So I use my GPS receiver as a local clock source
(preferred), but also configure several servers from the pools as a
sanity check - and to deal with any GPS outages/slow starts.  It's
worked well for me.

Along those lines, I haven't splurged yet, but Adafruit has an
interesting module for ~$40 (US)  with a breakout module, ($45 on a Pi
Hat - which is cheaper/easier than building your own PCB), which
includes a GPS patch antenna.  If you need an external antenna, it comes
up to about the cost of the Garmin, but draws only 20ma vs. 90, and is a
more modern receiver.)   On paper it looks good.

See https://www.adafruit.com/?q=ultimate%20gps - I'm not affiliated with
Adafruit, and while I've looked at the specs, don't have direct
experience.  YMMV.

Enjoy.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer