Need DNS records help for single server (and IP), and multi-domain mail server.

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Aug 24 08:17:23 UTC 2017

On 23.08.17 19:28, Tom Browder wrote:
>I have a single remote server with one IP address (142.54.186.2) I am using
>it to host multiple, independent domains.  I am working on configuring a
>single postfix instance to serve mail for all domains (assuming I can
>successfully rewrite appropriate parts of mail in and out).

>From referring to "DNS and BIND" and previous discusssions here and on the
>postfix users list I have re-examined my domain DNS records to see if I can
>cover my requirements more easily.
>
>Given such a configuration described in the first paragraph, does the
>following set of DNS records for a domain look look appropriate:
>
># For each domain X.TLD:
>X.TLD.      IN    A                 142.54.186.2.
>*.X.TLD.    IN   CNAME       X.TLD.
>X.TLD.      IN    MX              10   142.54.186.2.
>X.TLD.      IN    TXT             "v=spf1 mx -all"

as other suggested:
- get rid of the wildcard whenever possible
- get rid of the trailing dot in A record
- point MX to canonical name of theserver

I suggest
- replace X.TLD. with "@" (BIND uses this as current origin)

the result is:

@	IN	A	142.54.186.2
@	IN	MX	10	mail.example.com.
@	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 mx -all"

Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.