Need DNS records help for single server (and IP), and multi-domain mail server.

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Aug 23 23:47:43 UTC 2017

Am 23.08.2017 um 22:59 schrieb Tom Browder:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a single remote server with one IP address (142.54.186.2) I am using
>> it to host multiple, independent domains.  I am working on configuring a
>> single postfix instance to serve mail for all domains (assuming I can
>> successfully rewrite appropriate parts of mail in and out).
>>
>> Given such a configuration described in the first paragraph, does the
>> following set of DNS records for a domain look look appropriate:
>
> Based on all the comments, I've modified the OP list to this:
>
> # For each domain X.TLD:
> X.TLD.      IN   A               142.54.186.2.
> *.X.TLD.    IN   CNAME     X.TLD.
> X.TLD.      IN   MX            10 X.TLD.
> X.TLD.      IN   TXT           "v=spf1 mx ?all"
>
> How's that set?

terrible - the wildcard would allow forged mail with "@a.x.tld",
"@b.x.tld" and so on and the "?all" SPF is completly useless

why it is important to not allow random hostnames?

beause you should have SPF records for every valid hostname
http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes
http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes#helo

arrakis.thelounge.net.  86399   IN      SPF     "v=spf1 a
ip4:91.118.73.0/24 ip4:95.129.202.170 -all"

prometheus.thelounge.net. 86399 IN      SPF     "v=spf1 a
ip4:91.118.73.0/24 ip4:95.129.202.170 -all"

otherwise only @example.com *itself* is protected from forging, our
homegrown DNS backend automatcially publishes SPF records for every
hostname in every domain

also avoid "v=spf1 mx" - why?
because it's a useless DNS lookup on the receiver
publish ip-adresses whenever possible - the connecting IP is known for
free, the MX is not relevant on the destination server when receive
email as long as you force the lookup by careless SPF records