bind-chroot, runs, works, dies

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Aug 11 14:04:12 UTC 2017

Am 11.08.2017 um 15:57 schrieb Petr Mensik:
> Hi Todd.
>
> I think much better than Ask Fedora would be filling a bug in bugzilla.redhat.com. I would see it straight away.
> I am Fedora bind maintainer. If there is bug preventing correct start of named-chroot, I would like to fix it.
>
> You would see SElinux errors in command "ausearch -i -ts recent -m avc -m user_avc -m selinux_err" if that errors were SElinux related.
>
> I think your config file is missing pid-file "/run/named/named.pid"; It has to match pid file used by your named-chroot.service. If systemd does not find the pid file of forking service, it will cancel the service.
> PIDFile in named-chroot service includes chroot path, but configuration file has to point to path inside chroot only.
> It should work with default configuration even when pid-file directive is commented out. There is symlink from /var/run to /run also in /var/named/chroot

and why in the world does the unit contain that pid-file stuff at all?

i maintain 25 production servers running on Fedora for nearly a decade
and removed all that pid-file-stuff excatly becuse it causes only
troubles long before most package maintainers provided systemd-units
while as we deloyed F15 we overrided every single service with a unit in
/etc/systemd/system

after 6 years running systemd nobody was able to show me a single
service which needs a pid-file these days because the whole concept is
broken by design when we have a system manager which can track services
and processes proper

the pid-file stuff in systemd is last ressort for heavily broken software