Overwrite A record from DNSSEC protected domain if I am the owner of the domain

Mathew Ian Eis Mathew.Eis at nau.edu
Thu Apr 27 00:57:00 UTC 2017

What you are describing more generally sounds like what is known as split-view or split-horizon DNS. In short, you split all (or part by virtue of delegation or forwarders) of your namespace into “internal” and “external” partitions; this is documented in the context of BIND here: https://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/cur/9.10/doc/arm/Bv9ARM.ch04.html#split_dns

Best practices for DNSSEC under split-view vary, but several approaches along with their strengths and weakness are documented in this RFC draft:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-krishnaswamy-dnsop-dnssec-split-view-04

We have been using 4.1.2 in production for the last year or so… it works very well, but as the draft suggests there is a high overhead in the management of the keys, zones, and views, especially if you have a large namespace.

4.1.5 may be an easier option if you are a small shop and trust your internal networks.

Cheers,

Mathew Eis
Northern Arizona University
Information Technology Services