allow-transfer with distinct IP rejected

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 08:10:35 UTC 2017

On 26 April 2017 at 08:23, Nico CARTRON <nicolas at ncartron.org> wrote:
> BIND logs refers to the IP address 172.16.10.16, can you tell us what is this
> IP?
> It appears that this is this IP address which is trying to transfer the zone,
> and as you are restricting zone transfers to the slave IP address
> (172.16.11.35), it makes sense that this is refused.
> And also explains why it works when you allow the entire /16.

Ah OK, my mistake I thought the log was from the master not the slave.

So 172.16.10.16 is the master, 172.16.11.35 is the slave.

Are there any firewalls or natting taking place between those two IP
addresses that would cause the slave to appear as a different IP? Can
you see anything relating to AXFR in the logs on the master?

If you are on the slave and perform "dig @172.16.10.16
dmz.microsult.de. SOA +tcp" what do you get back?

Also for testing, if you put the ACL back to /16, and perform an AXFR,
you should see in the logs on the master the IP of the slave that has
performed the transfer.