global server load balancing with the domain name

McDonald, Daniel (Dan) Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Apr 14 21:40:57 UTC 2017

Setting up global server load balancing seems easy enough – just add ns records pointing at the load balancer and away you go:

example.com.     38400    IN            SOA        ns20.example.net. dan\.mcdonald.example.com. 2017011107 10800 3600 604800 3600
example.com.     38400    IN            NS           ns1.example.com.
example.com.     38400    IN            NS           ns2.example.com.
test.example.com.             900         IN            NS           gslb1.example.com.
test.example.com.             900         IN            NS           gslb2.example.com.

That works fine for test.example.com.  But when I go to production, I need to do it for example.com and www.example.com<http://www.example.com>.  How do I delegate just the A record and not the SOA, TXT, MX, SPF, and NS records, nor any of the other entries in the zone.  As I recall, I can’t just delegate , as an example,  www.example.com<http://www.example.com>, then use a CNAME for example.com.