Unable to slave root zones

Michael Sinatra michael at brokendns.net
Fri Apr 7 17:58:51 UTC 2017

On 04/07/17 09:21, Tony Finch wrote:
> Mark Knight <lists at knigma.org> wrote:
>
>> I've just noticed (after the slave zones expired), that the root name servers
>> have been refusing my zone transfer requests since the end of March.
>
> This is because Cloudflare are now helping isc.org to host
> f.root-servers.net, and the Cloudflare instances don't allow zone
> transfers.
>
> https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2017-March/016150.html
>
> I have switched to transferring the root zone from k.root-servers.net.

ICANN has "sanctioned" servers for doing root zone transfers that are
separate from the root DNS servers.  See:

http://www.dns.icann.org/services/axfr/

It's probably better to use the servers listed there (although they do
appear to be US-centric), to avoid having to deal with changes akin to
f-root.

michael