Multiple IPs Associated With A Single Name

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Thu Sep 29 22:07:58 UTC 2016

On 09/29/2016 04:57 PM, Niall O'Reilly wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2016, at 22:33, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
>
>> That seems like a lot of complexity to go to in order to avoid running a name server as root, though.  You'd probably be better off convincing your systems people to set up sudo in such a way that you can administer a DNS server running on a privileged port, and nothing else.
>
>   If this is for testing and you control all the clients, a VM of your own,
>   perhaps under VirtualBox on your laptop, may meet your need.
>
>   Niall O'Reilly

No, not really.  It's for a private cloud microservices system we're
thinking through.  We already run most/many of the various service
backends in user space so that the app devs and support folks can control
their own universe without having to constantly invoke someone with sudo
or root or firecall permissions.   Because of very strict audit and
regulatory constraints, there is zero chance they'll ever get root/sudo
access to the DNS config, so running our private DNS just for this
subset of private client/cloud users may make sense.

I really appreciate everyone jumping in to help with this.

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com