DNS views and zone transfers

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 16:34:10 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 11:48:54AM -0400, Bob Harold wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 11:37 AM, project722 <project722 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Bob, I will look into this. Do you know if the forwarders
> > feature is supported in Bind 9.8.2?
> >
> Yes, forwarders is an old and stable feature.
>
> ("in-view" is new and experimental)

"New" is fair to say, if you call BIND 9.10 "new".  OTOH it is
unfair/wrong to call it "experimental".  9.10 has been in stable
release form for quite some time now, and there have been no problems
with the in-view zone feature, AFAIK.

> > On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Bob Harold <rharolde at umich.edu> wrote:
> >

> >> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 5:23 PM, project722 <project722 at gmail.com> wrote:

snip
> >> Here is the basic structure:
> >>
> >> view "internal" {
> >>     match-clients {
> >>           // this list must not match 127.0.0.1
> >>           !key "external";   // use this key to test the external view
> >>           10.0.0.0/8;
> >>           key "internal";   // use this key to test the internal view
> >>     };
> >>     zone "itd.umich.edu" {    // this zone is different in the two views
> >>           type master;
> >>           file "internal/itd.umich.edu";
> >>     };
> >>     forwarders {
> >>           // forward to external view
> >>           127.0.0.1;

I have never thought to try this, but I would not expect it to work.
Does it?

--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/