Request reverse dns mapping advice

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed Sep 7 07:52:46 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-06 08:01, Bob Harold wrote:
> I agree with one PTR per IP.  But since you have 5 IP's, you can have
> one PTR record on each, just be sure there is a matching forward "A"
> record.  Your list of 5 names looks good, but only if each service uses
> the corresponding IP for its outgoing connections, which could be
> difficult or not the most efficient.  (What is missing here is why 5
> IP's - parallel for more traffic, connections to different Internet
> providers, ...?)

It sounds to me like the provider assigned a /29, and speaking as a
small host, distributing the traffic to different IPs often makes life
easier in the short and long term.

It could be a matter of separating outbound traffic (separating email
streams is wise, for example), for firewalling efficiency, they might
have separate virtual machines answering each IP, HTTP optimization is a
factor too in a pre-HTTP/2 world.

Tons of other possible reasons, none of which are really relevant to the
best practices involved with PTR record naming.