Request reverse dns mapping advice

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 15:18:35 UTC 2016

I have two remote servers, one with one IPv4 address, and one with
five IPv4 addresses.  My ISP will provide reverse mapping for all if I
provide the desired rDNS record for each address.

The rDNS record for the one-address server is not a problem, but I
would appreciate opinions on the choice of names for the records for
the multiple-address server.  The server is currently is or will be
performing the following roles:

1. Apache web server for 10+ virtual hosts (name based, each with its
own domain name).

2. Planned:  A mail server to be used for all my current (and future) domains.

3. Planned:  A slave (secondary), authoritative DNS server for my
domains (the single-adddress server will be the master).

My idea is to use this list of names for the rDNS record for each of
the five addresses:

1.  pick a primary domain from the list of virtual hosts (example2.com)
2.  use the "real" host name of the server (juvat.example1.com)
3.  the mail server name (mail.example1.com)
4.  the dns server name (ns2.example1.com)
5.  another domain from the virtual hosts list (example 3.com)

Note that I alse have IPv6 addresses with which I will create similar
rDNS records matching the names I use for the IPv4 records.

Thanks for your always helpful advice.

Best regards,

-Tom