Wildcard SRV record?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Oct 31 22:04:59 UTC 2016

In message <CADdUxCw0VkFMM=ngsjzr-mZrBdAub_81aPdPGoD-J_EtMaERKg at mail.gmail.com>
, Stephen Pape writes:
> That doesn't work for me. When machine1.domain1.foo tries to look up
> the SRV record, it queries for _vlmcs._tcp.domain1.foo. Bind doesn't
> have that record, so it doesn't work.

Well add it.

If you need need change control independent of domain1.foo then get
_vlmcs._tcp.domain1.foo delegated to you and set up a zone rather
like this.

_vlmcs._tcp.domain1.foo. 3600 SOA ...
_vlmcs._tcp.domain1.foo. 3600 NS ...
_vlmcs._tcp.domain1.foo. 3600 NS ...
_vlmcs._tcp.domain1.foo. 3600 SRV ...

or setup dynamic update with the right permission and use nsupdate
to modifiy the records using SIG(0).

_vlmcs._tcp.domain1.foo. 3600 KEY ...

update-policy {
	grant * self * SRV KEY;
};

Which allows someone with the matching private key to update the
SRV and KEY records for records with names which match the KEY's
name.

update-policy {
	grant * selfsub *;
};

This allows a host once a KEY record is added to update its address
records and add SRV and other records below itself using SIG(0).

If you put a key record at the zone apex you can use that to add
KEY records for each of the hosts to let them control their own DNS
presence.

Mark